If you have a relative currently residing in Canada, you can immigrate under their sponsorship, as long as they are eligible for sponsorship. And even if your relatives don’t sponsor you, just mentioning them in your immigration application will provide you with extra points for the process.

Sponsors must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and must be of 18 years of age or older to qualify as legitimate sponsors. These residents may sponsor certain family members to live, study or work in Canada under the Family Class.

The sponsored include:

  • Spouses or common-law partners.
  • Dependent child; including adopted children.
  • Other applicable relatives.

The sponsors might even be eligible to sponsor their parents and grandparents to become residents under the Family Class in Canada and give them the opportunity to visit and stay in Canada up to two years at a time under the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.

The length of time for each applicant is determined by the relation between them and their sponsor. Spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children may take up to 63 days, while parents and grandparents may take up to 48 months.
On the other hand, adopted children, children to be adopted, orphans and other family classes are processed as a priority application.